Lean In! Prep is a Job Readiness and Transition Services (Pre-ETS) program with the mission to assist Blind and Low-vision high school students in preparing for achieving long-term employment through career exploration and developing technical skills for business.
The scope of Lean In! Prep consists of the following components:
- Job Readiness Training
- Technical Training (e.g., JAWS, NVDA, Screen Magnifiers, Microsoft Suite, etc.).
- Learning about different careers through the Career Symposium
- Launching and managing an online store
Who is Eligible?
The Lean In! Prep Program is directed at those students eligible for the State of Michigan Pre-employment and Transition Services (Pre-ETS) program. Lean In! Prep Explorers must be high school Juniors and above (16-18). Lean In! Prep is designed to prepare students for the Lean In! program for college students.
Therefore, Explorers must:
- Have access to the Internet suitable for virtual meetings
- Be willing to work within a team/group environment
- Be willing to participate in all Lean In! Prep activities, including group discussions, book club, Job Exploration discussions, and other “Lifework” assignments
- Be willing to learn the technical skills required for virtual work and the Lean In! program
- Be willing to participate in the Lean In! Prep Store Work Experience
The Lean In! Prep Explorers will:
- Perform a self-assessment of skills and desires
- Receive individualized technical training in accessibility and business tools (JAWS, NVDA, Microsoft Suite, etc.)
- Learn online and in-person etiquette and professional communication techniques
- Explore several industry areas, job roles, and career paths
- Develop an extra-familial support system
- Apply the concepts of the workshops by participating in the Lean In! Prep Store
There is life after high school. What you receive in dollars can be complemented by a sense of fulfillment. Are you interested in developing the tools to be ready? Lean In! Prep can help.
For more information, email us.