Lean In! is a Job Readiness and Work-based learning program directed at Blind and Low-Vision post-secondary individuals in achieving independence through long-term employment. Lean In! is an integrated service which includes Job Readiness activities during the school year followed by Paid Internships over the Summer. The program is developed, facilitated, and managed by Blind and Low-Vision mentors in a group environment to encourage trust and provide real exemplars.
Lean In! Candidates
Who is Eligible?
The Lean In! Program is directed at those individuals eligible for the State of Michigan Pre-employment and Transition Services (PRETS) Program. Candidates must be between the ages of 16 and 26. Lean In! will place great emphasis on virtual work, therefore Candidates must:
- Lean In! In addition to the opportunity to earn a paid internship, at the completion of the program, each candidate will receive a gift.
- Be willing to participate in all Lean In! activities, including group discussions, Book Club, and other homework assignments.
- Be willing to work within a team/group environment.
- Display a level of proficiency with accessibility tools (e.g., Smartphones, Screen Magnifiers, Screen Readers, etc.)
- Own a computer/laptop with Internet access
Lean In! Candidate Activities
The Lean In! Program is comprised of three types of activities for Candidates:
- Self-directed activities, including homework assignments (Personal Skills Inventory, Resume/Cover Letter Preparation, LinkedIn Profile Development, etc.)
- One-on-One Coaching sessions, including weekly update calls with Employment Partners and occasional engagement with the Lean In! Program Coordinator and Rehab Liaison
- Group activities, which include monthly 4-hour Workshops, Book Club Discussions and Team breakout sessions.
Candidates that are involved in the program will be presented with the opportunity to:
- Develop a team of experts to collaborate with and lean on (professionally and personally)
- Learn the technical and soft skills necessary to pursue the entrepreneurial route.
- Receive referenceable job experience in a real-world environment.
- Learn how to interview with confidence.
- Learn how to Brand themselves in social media and other like forums.
- Learn techniques for developing a skills inventory and a process for continually improving.
- Master the tools necessary to perform research about potential career areas.
If YOU have the desire to be successful and independent, it requires effort. The Lean In! Program will provide the opportunity, but YOU must supply the energy.
For more information on Lean In! and to join the program:
Contact Us at LeanIn@vanwardconsulting.com
Watch Lean In! on YouTube:
Follow us on Social Media: